About ICSV . . .
HISTORY OF THE INTERNATIONAL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL OF VIENNA
In 1985, a community of missionary families asked Black Forest Christian Academy in Kandern, Germany to help them start a school in Vienna. Most of the fathers from these families worked in Eastern Europe while their families lived in the safer environment of Vienna. Black Forest Academy agreed and sent Dick Derksen to Vienna to help begin the school.
In 1986, the school was registered with the Wien Stadtschulrat (Vienna school district) and opened its doors to children of these missionary families. The school, with an American curriculum, was recognized as an official school that meets the compulsory requirements of foreign children to the age of 16.
When the school began, it was housed at Quellenstrasse in the 10th district. The first year there were only 25 students. There were two other moves before we were able to settle at Kreilplatz ½ in the 19th district in 1992. At that time there were over 100 students, overcrowding demanded a larger facility.
The Kreilplatz site was located on the second floor of an old empty paper factory. The contract was signed on July 7, 1992. With the help of voluntary work crews from the US and the UK, this paper factory was converted into a school in four months. The project was completed and VCS opened its doors in early September 1992 with 156 students and 40 faculty and staff.
In 1995 the school board made the decision to change the vision of the school. The original vision of “meeting the needs of missionary families” was expanded to include the international community of Vienna. Since this decision, the number of international students has risen dramatically and students from around the world have the opportunity to receive a sound academic instruction in an environment characterized by vibrant faith in Jesus Christ.
In 2009 the school board polled the VCS community to see about changing the name of Vienna Christian School to reflect the international student body more accurately. The main reason was that many prospective students’ parents saw the name Vienna Christian School and never considered sending their children there because it was not known as an international school. The decision was made, after much deliberation, that Vienna Christian School would become the International Christian School of Vienna or ICSV from the start of the 2010-2011 school year.
MISSION STATEMENT: Vienna Christian School exists to glorify God by providing high quality academic programs, in the English language, for our international student population.
High Quality Education in a Gracious atmosphere.
Whole Student Orientation
VIENNA CHRISTIAN SCHOOL’S FAITH STATEMENT
- We believe the Bible to be the fully inspired, infallible, inerrant, and authoritative Word of God.
- We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in both the deity and the humanity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, in His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His burial, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of God the Father, and in His personal return to power and glory.
- We believe each human being is spiritually lost, sinful and utterly unable to save himself.
- We believe explicit faith in Jesus Christ and His finished work and regeneration by the Holy Spirit are absolutely essential for the salvation of lost and sinful man.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling and filling enables the Christian to live a godly life.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection and judgment of all mankind. Believers are resurrected to enjoy eternal life with God and unbelievers are resurrected to eternal suffering apart from God.
- We believe all who have confessed faith in the risen and ascended Son of God are members of Christ’s invisible and universal church. We also believe that the local church plays an essential role in the plan and purpose of God.
- We believe in the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe the primary purpose of man is to know God, glorify Him and enjoy Him forever.
You can visit the school’s website for more information.